We all want to be happy and many of us have experienced the true feeling of joy and happiness – I hope that we experience that feeling each and every day! But do you know what triggers your happiness? Wouldn’t it be great to know how to increase your happiness?
Positive Psychology Researcher Sonja Lyubomirsky, author of the book The How of Happiness, has dedicated her professional career to conduct scientific research on how to increase happiness. She has concluded that roughly 50% of happiness is determined by our genes and 10% by our life circumstance, but 40% depends on our daily activities – which means we have the power to steer our happiness ship!
Check out the 6 Habits to Cultivate Happiness that the Greater Good Science Center shared in their article What is Happiness, which is based on Lyubomirsky’s research.
When I read each of these habits, my mind immediately went to YOGA. Here are the connections I made between my personal yoga practice and HAPPINESS!
- Pay Attention: Yoga teaches us to clear our minds of clutter and live in the present moment. This allows us to become more aware of ourselves, of others and of the world as a community.
- Give Thanks: My yoga practice reminds me to be thankful that I have a strong, healthy, able body, and to take the time to appreciate the small things in life, which are sometimes the most meaningful.
- Drop Grudges: One of my favorite yoga instructors likes to share this quote by Ajahn Chah at the end of practice, “If you let go a little, you will have a little peace. If you let go a lot, you will have a lot of peace.”
- Keep Friends Close: Practicing at a yoga studio creates a community of like-minded individuals. I have developed some pretty amazing friendships with fellow yogis!
- Get Moving: From yoga, hiking, and running to playing beach volleyball and competing in triathlons, I know that living a healthy, active life makes me happy!
- Practice Kindness: I truly believe that the love, kindness and positive energy you send out to the universe will return to you tenfold.
What can you do now to increase your happiness? Start TODAY!
Peace. Love. Be Happy.